October 29, 2007 — /PRNewswire/ ATLANTA, GA — Public facilities, from schools and hospitals to sports facilities and health clubs, can now turn to Zep Inc. for help in combating the spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. The dangerous MRSA germ, which has been spreading around the country, has caused more life-threatening infections than health officials originally thought, according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
“Originally associated with health-care acquired infections only, MRSA has now emerged as a ‘community-acquired’ problem, especially among athletes, prison inmates, and children,” explains William A. Holl, chief commercial officer, Zep Inc. “Fortunately, MRSA can be effectively combated with a combination of prevention procedures and select, EPA-registered Zep disinfectants.”
Zep Inc. (formerly known as Acuity Specialty Products Group) is helping to educate public facilities about MRSA prevention procedures — including recommendations for personal hygiene, facility cleaning, laundry management, and use of shared sports equipment — through a special web site (www.zep.com/mrsa/mrsa.html); an 18×24-inch poster, suitable for posting in public facilities; and hang-tags for use on shared sports equipment. To order copies of the poster or hang-tags, call the company toll-free at 877-9GETZEP (877-943-8937).
“Education is critically important,” notes Holl. “Facility managers and janitorial staffs need to be up-to-date on the latest cleaning and disinfecting procedures. Sports team managers need to be aware of the potential threat of MRSA spread through the use of shared equipment and laundered items. The public as a whole needs to understand that proper handwashing is the single most important behavior in preventing the spread of infectious disease, such as MRSA.”
To make handwashing easier and more convenient, Zep Inc. offers a line of skin care products, including liquid antibacterial hand soaps, foaming hand soaps, lotion hand soaps, non-alcohol foaming hand sanitizers, and alcohol-based hand sanitizers — along with compatible product dispensers. The company also has a line of liquid body shampoos and hand lotions.
In addition to its handwashing products and educational materials, the company offers a range of products proven to be effective against MRSA:
- Zep Tackle — An EPA-registered product that is effective against MRSA, sthlete’s foot fungus, and a wide variety of bacteria and viruses that may be found on surfaces in public facilities. This concentrated, neutral cleaner is safe for use on most surfaces and leaves facilities smelling fresh and clean. It can be used for daily cleaning of mats, showers, locker rooms, equipment, and bathrooms and can be applied with a cloth, mop, or sprayer.
- DZ-7 — A neutral, quaternary ammonium chloride, hospital-grade detergent/disinfectant that effectively cleans and disinfects without damaging floor finishes.
- Spirit II — A ready-to-use, hospital-grade, non-phenolic germicidal cleaner and deodorant that quickly cuts through grease and heavy soil. This cleaner conforms to the CDC bloodborne-pathogens procedures for environmental surfaces.
- Clean ‘Ems Spirit II Disinfectant Towels — Pre-moistened, non-abrasive disinfectant towels in a convenient, portable tub. The disposable towels contain the same disinfectant formulation found in Spirit II germicidal cleaner.
- Micronex — The company’s most concentrated disinfectant cleaner. This hospital-grade product cleans, deodorizes, and kills a broad range of disease-producing bacteria on pre-cleaned environmental surfaces or objects previously soiled with blood or bodily fluids.
- Attack — A concentrated, hospital-grade liquid cleaner, disinfectant, sanitizer, bactericide, virucide, fungicide, and mildewstat for use on previously cleaned surfaces. The cleaner contains a blend of non-ionic detergents and water-softening agents plus powerful quaternary ammonium germicides.
For product information, to place an order, or to arrange for a visit from a Zep representative, call 1-877-IBUYZEP.
About Zep Inc.
Zep Inc., which holds the Acuity Specialty Products business, is a leading producer, marketer, and service provider of a wide range of cleaning and maintenance solutions for commercial, industrial, institutional, and consumer end markets. Zep’s product portfolio includes anti-bacterial and industrial hand care products, cleaners, degreasers, deodorizers, disinfectants, floor finishes, sanitizers, and pest and weed control products. Zep continually expands its product portfolio and service offerings through the introduction of new products and formulations as well as the introduction of new services to meet the demands of the industry and its customers. The company markets these products and services under well recognized and established brand names, such as Zep(R), Zep Commercial(R), Enforcer(R), and Selig(TM), some of which have been in existence for more than 70 years. Zep is headquartered in Atlanta, GA, and expects to have more than 2,800 employees on November 1, 2007, when it will be an independent company following the spin-off from Acuity Brands, Inc.
Acuity Brands, Inc., with fiscal year 2007 net sales of approximately $2.5 billion, is currently comprised of Acuity Brands Lighting and Acuity Specialty Products and after the spin-off of Zep Inc., will be focused solely on the lighting business.
Source: Zep Inc.