December 7, 2011 – A number of big-name frontend equipment firms highlight TSMC’s annual supplier awards in 2011, many of whom are repeat winners. This year’s recipients were culled from 400 TSMC suppliers spanning equipment, materials, packaging, testing, facilities, IT systems/services, export/import services, and environmental/waste management services.
This year’s theme was "Collaborate on Technology Advancement," intended to highlight TSMC’s technology leadership, manufacturing excellence, and customer trust, according to the company. Perhaps that’s fitting, given how chip manufacturing is becoming increasingly complex and capital-intensive, so too the need for collaboration with suppliers also increases. And maybe that’s also why this year’s 12-name roster is an expansion from 10 the past couple of years, and only six firms in 2007-2008.
Among TSMC’s top 2011 suppliers are ASML and Lam Research, winners for the third consecutive year (Lam’s fourth in the past five years). Other consecutive names include Applied and Tokyo Electron (two straight years). Sumco has made the list three of the last five years. First-time winners for 2011 (in the past five years) include KLA-Tencor, Linde, Dow Chemical, and JX Nippon Mining & Metals.
The awards were also partly broken down by excellence in a particular function: e.g. AMAT was named for "excellent productivity," ASML for service, TEL for delivery support, Lam and BASF for tech development collaboration, and KLA-Tencor, Sumco, Linde, Dow Chemical for "performance."
TSMC also is handing out two separate "Supplier Excellence" awards, to Dainippon Screen for "environmental excellence" and Greene Tweed for "supply chain resilience."
Here’s the full list of TSMC’s 2011 "outstanding suppliers:
Supplier Excellence Awards
- Applied Materials — Excellent productivity, PVD equipment
- ASML — Excellent service, lithography equipment
- Tokyo Electron Ltd. — Excellent delivery support
- Lam Research — Excellent technology development collaboration, etching equipment
- KLA-Tencor — Excellent performance, mask inspection equipment
- SUMCO — Excellent performance, silicon wafer material
- BASF — Excellent technology development collaboration, chemical material
- Linde LienHwa — Excellent performance, gas material
- Dow Chemical — Excellent performance, CMP material
- JX Nippon Mining & Metals — Excellent delivery support, target material
Supplier Achievement Award
- Dainippon Screen — Environmental excellence
- Greene, Tweed — Local presence for supply chain resilience